First Team
National League Sun 1 January N/A
  • Lloyd (1', 41')
  • Carter (2', 13')
Dorking Wanderers

In an extraordinary start to proceedings, the home side scored two goals inside the opening two minutes of the match; Alfie Lloyd and Charlie Carter both finishing clinically before adding another goal each as the half progressed, giving Lee Bradbury’s side a 4-0 lead at the break which is how the score remained come full time.

Marc White made a couple of changes to the team which started the reverse fixture on Boxing Day. Sami El-Abd came in for Barry Fuller as Wanderers went to a 4-5-1, Nicky Wheeler also back into the eleven and starting wide right as Harry Ottaway made way.

With less than 20 seconds on the clock, the hosts opened the scoring. Executing a move which looked pre-arranged for the kick off, Danny Whitehall drove a long ball forward which Alfie Lloyd latched onto with good timing of his run to get behind the defensive line, keeping his composure to then lift the ball over Lincoln from several yards out.

A minute later, the advantage was doubled. Whitehall received a giveaway of possession in midfield and darted forward, finding Carter at the edge of the area, and the former Woking man angled a low strike across goal and in off the far post.

Despite the horrendous start, Wanderers did carve out a couple of good chances a few minutes later to almost reduce the early deficit; Bobby-Joe forcing Joe McDonnell into a good reaction save at his near post after a corner was worked short from the right, Seager then spurning an excellent opportunity as he was denied by the stopper one-on-one, timing his run well to stay onside as Jebb played him in.

It was then almost deja vu as Carter again took aim from outside the area searching for the bottom corner, the ball this time coming back off the post and away. It did serve as a warning shot however, and with less than a quarter of an hour played, the home side grabbed a third. Lloyd recycled a thrown in from the left with a cross towards the near post, which was met with a glancing header by Carter, guiding the ball beyond Lincoln and into the far corner of goal.

Approaching half hour Sami El-Abd pulled up with an injury and was replaced by Barry Fuller, Isaac Philpot moving inside from the right full back position to partner Dan Gallagher in central defense.

Either side of the substitution Whitehall brought Lincoln into action, the stopper producing a superb save at point blank range before getting down low to his left to push away a firmly struck volley from 25 yards out.

Wanderers were struggling to carve out opportunities in attack, the quick, direct running of Eastleigh across the park was continually pegging Marc White’s men back, and shortly before the interval a fourth goal was added. Christian Maghoma flicking a corner ball on at the near post, Lloyd arriving on the opposite side to divert the ball over the line, making that 3 goals in 2 game having netted the opener on Boxing Day.

Half-Time: Eastleigh 4 Dorking Wanderers 0

Clearly looking to consolidate rather than push on and add further to their lead, the dynamic of the game naturally shifted following the restart as the rain began to pour down. Wanderers would take command of possession but still couldn’t made the inroads up top to bring themselves back into the game; McShane and Wheeler taking on strikes from range but sending them wide, the hard graft of McManus in central midfield instigating a couple of efforts for Bowerman coming in from the left, including a strike just narrowly clearing the bar.

Into the final quarter of an hour Philpot’s excellent through ball down the right sent Bobby-Joe away, his cross too heavy to find Seager running in at the back post. Recently introduced sub Muitt did go one better though and found the Wanderers No9 arriving into the box moments later, but he couldn’t steer his first time effort on target.

Wanderers went as close as they would throughout the half at the end of regulation time; the industrious McManus intercepting play and passing to Jebb, who’s through ball sent Egan away inside the area, his curling effort searching for the top right corner saved brilliantly by McDonnell tipping it over.

Whitehall would also bring Lincoln into action with a direct free kick in stoppage time, a low diving save round the post ensuring the afternoon’s damage ultimately stayed within the first half.

Unable to get back into the game after a near unprecedented opening couple of minutes, Wanderers will look to bounce back from their heaviest away defeat of the season next weekend as Oldham Athletic visit Meadowbank in a 3pm kick off on Saturday afternoon.

Dan Stobbart

Eastleigh (4-2-3-1): 1 Joe McDonnell, 2 Brennan

Camp (14 Tristan Abrahams 65′), 6 Christian Maghoma, 19 Corey Panter, 3 Michael Kelly (17 Vincent Harper 11′); 4 Nigel Atangana (c) (8 Ousseynou Cisse 74′), 7 Charlie Carter; 21 Oscar Rutherford, 16 JJ McKiernan, 23 Alfie Lloyd; 9 Danny Whitehall

Unused Subs: 5 Aaron Martin, 10 Jake Hesketh

Goals: Lloyd 1′, 41′, Carter 2′, 13′

No Yellow Cards

Dorking Wanderers (4-5-1): 1 Dan Lincoln, 2 Isaac Philpot, 4 Sami El-Abd (22 Barry Fuller 26′), 20 Dan Gallagher, 3 Bobby-Joe Taylor; 16 Nicky Wheeler (7 Jimmy Muitt 57′), 23 Jack Jebb, 6 Niall McManus, 11 James McShane (c) (29 Alfie Egan 61′), 30 Seb Bowerman; 9 Ryan Seager

Unused Subs: 14 Jordan Cheadle, 24 Harry Ottaway

Yellow Card: Fuller 75′

Referee: Alan Dale

Attendance: 2,648 (251 Wanderers Fans)

Man Of The Match: Alfie Lloyd (Official Home Selection)