First Team
National League Tue 3 October Meadowbank Stadium
Dorking Wanderers
  • Hobson (41')

Marc White made three changes following the clubs first ever victory over Hartlepool United at the weekend. James McShane made way for the returning Bobby Joe Taylor having picked up a hamstring injury early in Saturday’s game, whilst Ryan Seager and Aaron Kuhl both came into the starting eleven for Callum Kennedy and Matt Briggs.

Kidderminster, low on confidence following a fifth consecutive defeat, came into Tuesday’s encounter looking for a first victory since August, and were almost aided in doing so within the opening sixty seconds. An early ball into the box allowed the oncoming Amari Morgan- Smith to get a header towards goal, only for his effort to be comfortably caught by Harrison Male.

Minutes later, the Midlands based side saw themselves on the attack once again. A sizzling effort on the ten- minute mark from Gerry McDonagh made Male stretch to push it away, before Bailey Hobson saw an effort of his own fly past the post.

Dorking did little to trouble Christian Dibble in the opening stages, with their best opportunity of the opening quarter coming from one of Saturday’s goalscorers, Tom Blair. The 24-year-old forward picked up the pass of Josh Taylor and found himself in good space just outside the opposition’s box, sending a low driven shot into the arms of the Kiddie ‘keeper.

The visitors remained resilient and soon found themselves up the other end of the pitch, troubling Male in goal once again. A cross into the box forced the keeper to come clambering out of his goal and clear the danger, a move which required bodies back on the line to prevent Alex Penny from heading into an open goal.

However, the retained pressure would soon prove too strong, allowing Russell Penn’s side to open the scoring just before the break. An attempted clearance up- field found its way to Bailey Hobson via a deflection, who made no mistake in brushing into the box and hitting into the top corner from close range.

In the dying moments of the half, the Harriers could have extended their lead, only to be denied by the bar. A brilliant ball from Barry Maguire towards Amari Morgan Smith, a significant threat in the first half, opened up another goalscoring opportunity for the forward, on this occasion heading too high with his effort crashing against the crossbar.

HT 0-1

Dorking, evidently inspired by Marc White’s team talk, looked to start the second half in stronger fashion than the first, and were provided with two opportunities to level up within ten minutes of the restart. Oncoming substitute Harry Ottaway fumbled his shot inside the box, before fellow substitute Philpott failed to find Prior with his cross.

The Wanderers continued their press of the Kidderminster defence, only to lack with the final finish against an untroubled Dibble in goal. Unlike last Tuesday at Ebbsfleet, Ottaway was unable to compliment a fine headed through ball by Prior with a finish, on this occasion sending it over the bar. The substitute would fail to break his bad luck with another missed opportunity just a minute later, taking a pass from Josh Taylor away from goal with a heavy touch.

Ottaway was not alone in his bad luck in front of goal, as seen just moments later in another near miss for Marc White’s men. A cross by Tom Blair almost allowed Ottaway to grab an assist when his header found Francomb at the back stick, who in turn struck his volley against the crossbar.

Last Tuesday’s hero Harry Ottaway remained involved as Dorking chased a late leveller, attempting to equalise with what would have been a specular scissor kick. A set piece from the left-hand side travelled into the area and met Ottaway inside the box, however his overhead attempt was closed down by the Kiddie back line.

Dorking’s late efforts at goal did not prove substantial as Kidderminster held on to seal a second victory of the season, ending a run of five consecutive defeats for the Reds. The defeat sees Dorking Wanderers fall from 11th to 14th in the table ahead of Saturday’s televised kick off with Barnet.

George Taylor