First Team
National League Sat 18 November Meadowbank Stadium
Dorking Wanderers
  • Rutherford (26')
  • Hollis (81')
Boreham Wood
  • Whelan (66')

Marc White made do with a make- shift side in last weekend’s grilling away to Gateshead, however the return of several key figures allowed for an improved Wanderers outfit for the visit of Boreham Wood. Rutherford, Prior and Kennedy were all back in the starting eleven having begun last weekend’s encounter on the bench, whilst Fuller reclaimed the captain’s armband following his return from injury. Alongside the additions was new signing Haydn Hollis, making his competitive debut after signing in mid-week.

The opening minutes saw Wanderers unable to break down a physically dominant Boreham side, requiring an error from Ashmore to open the scoring. The veteran ‘keepers wayward back pass opened up an opportunity for Alfie Rutherford, who was able to brush into the box and coolly fire home to net his first goal since return from long term lay off earlier this month.

Not long before the goal Wanderers did suffer another injury blow as Jason Prior went down off the ball clutching his leg, reaction post-match suggested the striker had injured his calf muscle but the concern was not too serious.

Luke Garrard’s side created a handful of opportunities in the closing minutes of the half but were seemingly unable to equalise, with efforts from top scorer Ndlovu and Erico Sousa glancing just wide of goal.

HT 1-0

The visitors begun the second half as they ended the first, eventually being rewarded with a well worked equaliser. A clipped ball into the box from Wood debutant Charles Clayden found substitute Tom Whelan, heading home past Harrison Male for his first goal of the campaign.

Boreham appeared to be creating the better chances out of the two sides, particularly in the second period, but would have their work undone in the latter stages of the second half. A corner ball whipped in with pace found the oncoming Haydn Hollis in acres of space, in turn nodding past Ashmore to complete a dream Wanderers debut.

Dorking were forced to remain defensively resilient amidst mounting pressure, as they had been throughout much of the encounter, eventually holding on for just a second league victory since the start of October.

The victory sees Marc White’s men move up to 15th in the National League table ahead of next weekend’s long trip to Lancashire, where they face AFC Fylde in an early televised kick off.

George Taylor


Dorking Wanderers (3-5-2): 1 Harrison Male, 22 Barry Fuller (c), 19 Haydn Hollis, 12 Callum Kennedy; 7 Jimmy Muitt, 4 Dan Pybus, 17 Josh Taylor, 18 Luke Moore (20 Dan Gallagher 59′), 37 George Francomb; 9 Jason Prior (24 Harry Ottaway 21′), 10 Alfie Rutherford, (10 James McShane 53′)

Unused Subs: 2 Isaac Philpot, 30 Seb Bowerman

Goals: Rutherford 26′, Hollis 81′

Boreham Wood (3-4-3): 1 Nathan Ashmore, 22 Billy Sass-Davies, 5 Chris Bush, 3 Femi Ilesanmi; 19 Erica Sousa, 4 Jack Payne (c), 24 Matt Robinson (7 Tom Whelan 66′), 23 Charles Clayden (6 David Stephens 89′); 10 Tyrone Mars, 9 Lee Ndovlu, 14 Angelo Balanta (11 Timmy Abraham 70′)

Unused Subs: 13 Koju Abayomi, 17 Liam O’Neill

Goal: Whelan 66′

Referee: Michael Barlow

Attendance: 1952

Sponsors Man Of The Match: Haydn Hollis