Match report by George Taylor

The Wanderers came into today’s encounter at The Hive looking to end an undesirable run on the road, having ended a small losing streak last time out in a score draw against Solihull. Marc White made just two changes from that match with the Moors, swapping Bobby Joe-Taylor and Barry Fuller with George Francomb and Joe Cook, allowing Tony Craig to take the captain’s armband.

With Chesterfield’s title all but confirmed ahead of kick off, second placed Barnet turned their attention to maintaining their spot in the top two play-off positions, a run complimented by just one home defeat in the National League since November. The Bees highlighted their impressive home form inside the opening ten minutes courtesy of Nicke Kabamba. The Barnet top scorer struck low past Male having sent him the wrong way, earning the spot kick after Bees Captain Gorman was clipped in the box.

The Wanderers came searching for a quick response but were caught on the counter by the Bees soon after conceding the first. Male’s attempt in rushing out to deny Kabamba caused a collision in the middle of the park, allowing O’Donkor to slot into an empty net.

Male was forced to dig deep to deny the hosts but found his efforts undone on the half hour mark by a third goal for the hosts. A tidy move by the Bees played Stead through on goal, eventually shooting beyond an oncoming Harrison Male.

Stead ensured he ended the half with a second, grabbing Barnet’s fourth in the latter stages of the half. A blistering Barnet counter-attack made its way to goalscorer Stead, who took a touch before blasting into Male’s bottom corner.

The Wanderers ended the half attempting to grab a foothold back in the game, ultimately firing well wide of Walker’s goal. A succession of corners created shooting opportunities for Marc White’ side, the third and final of which sailing well over.

HT 4-0

Having made no substitutions at the break, Dorking looked to restore some pride in what had been an underwhelming performance. The Wanderers looked to have broken free just before the hour mark through Charlie Carter, however the winger was eventually denied by the block of a Barnet defender after beating Bees goalkeeper Laurie Walker. Marc White’s side did have the ball in the back of the net minutes later via Jason Prior, on this occasion being denied by the offside flag.

The hosts responded by putting the result beyond any doubt courtesy of their captain Gorman. A darting run by Barnet youngster Cropper resulted in the Bees skipper collecting the ball at the near post, calmly converting for a fifth of the afternoon.

Dean Brennan’s side would strike once more in stoppage time, completing an embarrassing afternoon for Dorking in North-West London. Kanu’s through ball into the path of Brunt provided the latter with a shot from close range, tapping home past a helpless Harrison Male for the final goal of the game.

Despite the disappointing result, The Wanderers remain just two points adrift off the relegation zone due to results elsewhere in the National League. Marc White’s side now turn their attention to Good Friday, where we host Bromley in another crunch match at the foot of the table.

Barnet: Walker, Hall- Johnson, Coker, Collinge (Cropper ’78), Okimo, Gorman, Kabamba, Stead (Kanu ’58), Hartigan, O’ Donkor (Freeman ’58), Brunt

Unused Subs: Keeley, Maguire- Drew

Bookings: Walker, Okimo, Hall- Johnson

Dorking Wanderers: Male, Craig ©, McManus, Prior, Rutherford (Hollis ’33), Cook (Taylor ’33), Carter, Taylor, Blair, Bowerman, Francomb (Muitt ’54)

Unused Subs: Moore, Ottaway

Bookings: Taylor, Rutherford, Cook

Attendance: 2,370 (242 Away)


Referee: Callum Walchester

Assistants: Bradley Mingay, Mark Chalkley, James Keane