First Team
National League Fri 29 March Meadowbank Stadium
Dorking Wanderers

After a disappointing day at the office last time out in North-West London, Marc White opted to make four changes for the Bank Holiday meeting with Bromley. Barry Fuller returned to the squad, in turn picking up the captain’s armband. Blair and Rutherford, who both started at the Hive, made way for Moore and Hollis, whilst Francomb was swapped with ex Bromley boy Bobby Joe-Taylor.

With the automatic promotion race decided as of last weekend, Andy Woodman’s Bromley turned their attention to ensuring a spot in the top three, whilst simultaneously looking to rectify a poor run of form on the road having secured just one league win away from home since Boxing Day. After a cagey opening to the half, the Ravens grabbed the opening goal of the game courtesy of top scorer Michael Cheek. A silky move between the Bromley forwards slid in Cheek inside the box, slotting low past an oncoming Harrison Male.

The Wanderers crafted a handful of opportunities in the first half but were ultimately unable to convert past Bristol City loanee Lewis Thomas. Efforts from McManus and Hollis, alongside great work from Bobby Joe-Taylor out wide, caused momentary danger for the Ravens, forcing the Bromley keeper to collect said efforts.

Dorking could’ve found themselves two behind at the break, only to be rescued by the heroics of Harrison Male. The Wanderers keeper was forced to dive low for a sizzling shot from Whitely, before being forced into action seconds later to deny Cheek from close range.

HT 0-2

Having made a double substitution at the break, swapping Luke Moore and Bobby Joe-Taylor for Jimmy Muitt and Alfie Rutherford, The Wanderers looked to build on their attacking chances from the first half and find a way back into the game. After an end to end opening to the half, in which Bromley struck both the post and the crossbar, oncoming substitute Alfie Rutherford was presented with a golden chance to convert, sliding the ball just past the post after breaking free in the box.

Despite Dorking’s resilience in attempting to claw a way back into the game, Andy Woodman’s Bromley ensured all three points via Callum Reynolds. A corner from the right-hand side made its way to the back post towards Reynolds, who buried his header past a diving Male.

Dorking’s afternoon proved all the more frustrating in their search for a late goal, finding their efforts thwarted by Thomas. A Wanderers corner landed in a crowd of Dorking bodies and was eventually headed towards the top corner, only to be tipped away by Thomas after what looked to be an almost certain goal.

In the dying stages of the game, Rutherford was denied once more by the ever-present Bromley shot-stopper. A long ball over the top on the counter met Rutherford in acres of space, who’s effort from inside the box was met by the clambering Ravens keeper and cleared away.

Dorking were eventually unable to convert a consolation, falling to a two-goal defeat after a positive spell at Meadowbank in March. The result sees us remain 23rd in the National League Table, albeit now five points adrift as a consequence of results elsewhere. Marc White’s side now turn their attention to another vital clash over the Bank Holiday period, in which Aldershot Town await at the EBB Stadium.

Dorking Wanderers: Male, B.Taylor, Craig, McManus, Prior, Carter, Taylor (Muitt ’46), Moore (Rutherford ’46), Hollis, Fuller ©, Bowerman (Blair ’59)

Unused Subs: Philpot, Kuhl

Bookings: Prior


Bromley: Thomas, Reynolds, Charles, Cheek, Kirk, Webster ©, Whitely, Arthurs (Grant ’88), Krauhaus (Passley ’39), Olamola (Davies ’63), Odutayo

Unused Subs: Aziaya, Weston 

Bookings: Webster, Reynolds, Odutayo, Grant


Stonegate Holmes Man of the Match: Charlie Carter

Referee: Aaron Farmer 

Fourth Officials: Karl Sear, Elliott Mayer, Daniel D’ Urso 

Attendance: 2,875 (549 Away) – Record number of home fans