First Team
National League Tue 12 March Roots Hall
  • Scott-Morris (27')
  • Cardwell (85')
Dorking Wanderers

Marc White made wholesale changes to the side which lost 4-2 at York Road last weekend, opting for a back three of George Francomb, Tony Craig and Bobby-Joe Taylor. Elsewhere, Alfie Rutherford returned to the side to join Jason Prior up front, with Seb Bowerman also coming in for his first start in over month.

The Shrimpers had an early sight of goal through their top scorer Harry Cardwell, who dragged an effort wide after finding space to drive at the Dorking rearguard. Following the early scare, Wanderers settled quickly, as they looked to buck the recent trend of slow starts which have led to a combined four goals conceded in the first half an hour of of their last two fixtures.

Despite settling in possession and looking assured at the back, White’s men struggled to create any real chances of note, Dan Pybus’ pop shot from range which rolled wide on the 25 minute mark depicting the scrappy nature of the opening encounters.

Southend’s first real threat at Dorking’s backline came from Cardwell, who, after driving towards Male’s goal, was fouled by Muitt on the edge of the area. As a result, Scott-Davies stepped up and curled a beautiful effort into the top corner from 25-yards out, ending Southend’s unwanted run of conceding first in each of their last four games.

The remainder of the half saw little threat from either side, with Southend comfortably able to deal with a succession of Dorking crosses.

Half-Time: 1-0

Not long after the restart, Wanderers watched their best chance of the game go begging as Jason Prior nodded Tom Blair’s cross narrowly wide, the striker found some rare time and space in the Shrimpers box before watching his effort go agonisingly wide.

Southend were the side with the impetus for much of the second 45, Jack Bridge posing a constant threat down the left, notably forcing Harrison Male into a top save with around 20 minutes to play.

As Wanderers’ creativity problems continued, Southend proceeded to push for a second to kill the game. Making his first start for The Shrimpers, the front-footed full-back Deon Woodman forced Male into further work with a fierce effort, before Adam Crowther tested the Wanderers ‘keeper with an effort from range.

Southend’s patience eventually paid dividends in the closing stages when Noor Husin pounced on a loose pass from Pybus, after breaking clear and going one-on-one with Male, Husin was the latest Southend man to be denied by the shot-stopper, however Cardwell was on hand to sweep in the rebound and put the game to bed.

Prior went close to pulling a goal back for the visitors late on, crashing a header against the post after being well found by Bowerman, but the Wanderers’ attacking onslaught came far too late in the day to cause any serious concern for the Southend rearguard.

Wanderers go again in four days time, returning home for the first time in two weeks as we welcome Solihull Moors to Surrey for a 3pm kick-off.