First Team
National League Mon 1 April Electrical Services Stadium
  • Barrett (2')
Dorking Wanderers
  • Rutherford (75')

Match report by George Taylor

Having made several alterations to the line-up for Good Friday’s match with Bromley, Marc White opted to make a further three changes ahead of another crucial Bank Holiday encounter in the form of Aldershot Town. Hollis and Fuller made way for and Philpot and Muitt, allowing Tony Craig to retake the captain’s armband, whilst McManus was kept out for the return of Aaron Kuhl following his loan spell at Farnborough.

Tommy Widdrington’s Aldershot have been reliable at home of late, maintaining an unbeaten run at the EBB since Valentine’s Day, and highlighted such form by converting inside the opening two minutes. Male’s attempt in playing the ball forward made its way into the path of Josh Barrett, who brushed into the box past the chasing backline before sliding the ball into the bottom corner.

The hosts offered little rest-bite in the early stages as they looked to build on Barrett’s opener, forcing the Dorking defence to dig deep as they fought to stay in the game. Shots skipper Lorent Tolaj stung the fingertips of Male with his half- volley, before Willard’s angled attempt whisked past the past.

Despite Aldershot’s early attacking display, Dorking grew into the encounter and were unfortunate not to go into the break on level terms. After being denied a seemingly stonewall penalty, in which the ball appeared to have struck the hand of an Aldershot player, the Wanderers continued to press Van Stappershoef’s goal in search of an equaliser, ultimately firing over through Bowerman and Philpot.

HT 1-0

Following a promising first half, Marc White opted to add to his attacking line at the break, switching Moore for Rutherford as his side maintained their search for an equaliser.

After another period of Aldershot dominance early into the half, requiring the heroics of Harrison Male to deny a ferocious attempt from Frost, the Wanderers begun to find a foot in the game as they looked for a leveller, eventually grabbing their goal courtesy of Alfie Rutherford. The oncoming substitute found himself on the end of a ball over the top and played it across the face of goal towards Muitt, before receiving the ball back and tapping home via a deflection.

The Wanderers soon turned their attention to grabbing a second and could’ve found themselves ahead just moments later via Charlie Carter. The midfielder was played through one on one with Van Stappershoef having slipped in behind the Aldershot defence, eventually striking into the oncoming ‘keeper.

Aldershot were also guilty of missing a clear-cut chance in the latter stages of the game, blasting over an almost certain goal against an open net. The hosts had picked out Daly in front of goal in a move which had caught the Wanderers napping, eventually skying the ball over the crossbar.

The Shots made one final throw of the dice in the dying moments of the game, requiring another eye-watering save from Male. The Wanderers shot stopper tipped away a looping header from Man of the Match Lorent Tolaj, ensuring a point apiece after an intense encounter.

The result sees us remain in the relegation zone, albeit now with a reduced gap of four points from safety. Marc White’s side now turn their attention to the weekend ahead of the visit of Altrincham at Meadowbank.

Aldershot Town: Van Stappershoef, Mnoga, Harfield, Harries, Widdrington (Thomas ’70), Frost, Tolaj ©, Glover, Barrett (Stokes ’58), Daly, Willard

Unused Subs: O’Keefe, Scott, Ghandour 

Bookings: Daly, Tolaj

Dorking Wanderers: Male, Philpot, Taylor (Fuller ’25), Craig ©, Muitt, Prior, Carter, Taylor, Moore (Rutherford ’46), Kuhl, Bowerman (Blair ’63)

Unused Subs: Hollis, McManus

Bookings: Moore, Fuller


Referee: Richie Watkins

Fourth Official: Charles Martland

Assistants: Michael Hayden, Steven Scott

Attendance: 4,262 (331 Wanderers)