First Team
National League Thu 11 April Ruislip Manor Sports & Social Club
  • Barrett (58')
  • Kretzschmar (70', 73')
  • Allarakhia (77')
Dorking Wanderers
  • Carter (55')

In a season of extremes away from home, where results have proved to be some of the highest highs and lowest lows in the recent history of the club, the second half of tonight’s encounter ultimately encapsulated both sides of the coin. A Charlie Barker own goal and header from Charlie Carter put Wanderers two goals to the good early in the second forty-five, only to surrender the lead through the remainder of a frenetic half and come away from Grosvenor Vale empty handed.

Marc White made two changes to the side which drew with Altrincham last Saturday; Seb Bowerman replacing Tom Blair in a straight swap wide left, and Luke Moore coming in to lead the line up top with Jason Prior injured during the weekend’s encounter and fellow recognised strikers Alfie Rutherford and Harry Ottaway only fit enough for the bench.

Wanderers began the brighter in what was an evenly contested, often cagey first half, pushing The Stones back through the early minutes and Josh Taylor seeing the first effort of the game charged down after patient build up play around the box.

Momentum then swung Wealdstone’s way with Dillon De Silva fizzing a strike over the crossbar after a corner ball was initially cleared, Aaron Henry then having a shot blocked from range before Sean Adarkwa spurned the best chance of the half, receiving a throw-in from the left and swivelling brilliantly to unleash a fierce volley which Male was equal to catching in his mid drift.

Both keeper’s dealt with firm crosses into the near post well as Muitt’s low drive was shut out by Marcus Dewhurst and Male punched clear a powerful delivery from De Silva, but Wanderers finished the half stronger as Craig’s header at the back post was cleared just in front of the goal line, Kuhl and Bobby-Joe not able to keep efforts down after gathering second balls just outside the penalty area.

Marc White introduced Tom Blair for Seb Bowerman at the break to freshen up his attacking options, and within a minute of the restart, Wanderers broke the deadlock; a cross from the left flank turned into his own net by defender Charlie Barker with Moore closing in nearby.

Despite immediate pressure from the home side in wake of going behind with a couple of dangerous crosses cleared from the left and Jack Cook’s towering header being cleared in front of goal, Wanderers managed to double their advantage six minutes after the opening goal. Bobby-Joe Taylor, who showed great industry and endeavour getting up and down the line throughout the night, surged forward, and after Muitt’s initial attempt at goal was blocked, play was recycled swiftly with Blair’s cross clipped towards Carter at the back post, and the midfielder managed to impressively loop a header over Dewhurst and into the roof of the net, to an eruption of noise from the travelling red and white army gathered behind the goal.

Sam Cox’s side again upped the ante again after conceding, and after Hollis did well to stick closely to Adarkwa and deflect the striker’s effort over the bar, in the space of a fraught 17 minute period, The Stones flipped the game completely on it’s head to dramatically overturn the scoreline.

Defender Mason Barrett halved the deficit stooping in low to head home a cross at the back post, and not longer afterwards Max Kretzschmar pulled his side back level by slamming a powerful strike in off the underside of the cross bar after latching onto a precise through ball from Adarkwa.

Up the other end, Moore nearly produced a moment of magic with a Van Batten-esque volley flying just wide of the far post, but with less than twenty minutes remaining, Kretzschmar won and scored a penalty to put The Stones in front. Recently introduced sub Dan Pybus was guilty of bringing the midfielder to ground, and the Wealdstone No10 fired his spot kick clinically into the left side of goal.

Just a few minutes later, the hosts broke Wanderers hearts and made sure of victory by adding a fourth. Terryn Allarakhia got on the end of a hooked ball over the top of the Wanderers backline, and after taking a moment to get the ball under control, steered a finish beyond Male from very close range.

Muitt almost set up a grandstand finish with a cross-come-shot which was headed off the goal line, but a deflated Wanderers were spared further gloss being added to the scoreline in the late stages with Male denying Adarkwa twice with top reaction saves, the first effort struck after Stones skipper Cook produced a lengthy run from deep.

With two games left to go, Marc White will no doubt be looking for his side to sign off from their time in the National League with positive final performances and results. A trip to Rochdale lies immediately ahead in just 48 hours time, before Hartlepool come to Meadowbank on the final day of the season the following Saturday.

Wealdstone (4-3-3): 31 Marcus Dewhust, 6 Mason Barrett, 2 Jack Cook (c), 3 Charlie Barker, 23 Jaydn Mundle-Smith; 19 Dillon De Silva (21 Kallum Tracey Cesay 84′), 26 Aaron Henry (15 Jack Young 81′), 5 Alex Dyer (22 Sam Bowen 62′); 10 Max Kretzshmar, 27 Sean Adarkwa, 7 Tarryn Allarakhia

Unused Subs: 9 Manny Duku, 14 Micah Obiero

Goals: Barrett 56′, Kretzschmar 69′, 73′ pen, Allarkhia 76′

Yellow Cards: Cook 66′, Allarakhia 86′

Dorking Wanderers: 1 Harrison Male, 2 Isaac Philpot, 5 Tony Craig (c), 19 Haydn Hollis (10 Alfie Rutherford 73′), 3 Bobby-Joe Taylor; 25 Aaron Kuhl (4 Dan Pybus 64′), 17 Josh Taylor, 16 Charlie Carter; 7 Jimmy Muitt, 18 Luke Moore, 30 Seb Bowerman (29 Tom Blair 46′)

Unused Subs: 12 Callum Kennedy, 24 Harry Ottaway

Goals: Barker og 47′, Carter 54′

No Yellow Cards

Referee: Paul Johnson