True to how the ties in the qualifying round have unfolded for Wanderers already in this year’s FA Youth Cup, it was another spirited display late in the day which secured Wanderers passage into round two.

Reduced to 10 men midway through the second half after midfielder Neo Wooster received a second yellow card, thoughts of extra time were starting to creep in as neither side could be separated approaching the end of regulation time, but Worthing managed to get their noses in front through Costin Manchester with just a few minutes remaining. Defender Luc Cowing very quickly restored parity up the other end for Wanderers though, and pushing for a winner deep into added on time, second half substitute Sonny Albert became the hero of the night, scoring a wonderful solo effort with virtually the last action of the game to continue the young Wanderers journey in this year’s competition.

Ruben Gaspar made just the once change to the starting eleven which defeated Welling United in the 3rd Qualifying Round via penalties, Neo Wooster coming into central midfield in place of the injured Matt Hay. The manager was able to welcome back B team regular from throughout last season and this term, Tyrese Ayeni, to the matchday squad following the wing-back’s recent recovery from injury.

The impact of Storm Ciaran had threatened matchday preparations in the build up to the game but conditions just ahead of kick off had settled, both sides adopting a steady, more direct approach through much of the first half with chances at goal reduced to a premium. Ollie Rawlins forced Rebels keeper Kristen Murphy into a save down at his near post after cutting in from the left approaching the quarter hour mark for the first effort of the game.

Midway through the half Wanderers suffered an injury blow when Jay Richardson picked up a knock and was unable to continue. Tyrese Ayeni came on as his replacement and took up position wide left, Hayden Gale subsequently dropping back to the left side of the defensive three as Luc Cowing moved into the middle.

Stanley Berry carved out a couple of opportunities after coming in off the left hand side for the away side, neither effort able to trouble Harry Charlesworth, whilst Wanderers would go close through Zac Cahusac’s free kick in shooting range searching for the top right corner, Murphy equal to it before Rawlins would sting the keeper’s palms with a strike from an acute angle just before the interval.

H/T: 0-0

Following the restart Worthing began to generate more activity in the final third, achieving the greater success in the midfield battles and looking to direct the ball out wide. Berry brought Charlesworth into action with a save amidst a couple of dangerous crosses, and it would be at the midway point of the half again where Wanderers faced adversity, this time with Wooster receiving a second yellow and dismissal for a careless challenge not dissimilar to the foul he was punished for in the latter stages of the first half.

Despite being a man lighter,  Wanderers adopted a siege-like mentality after the sendign off and momentum swung back their way, getting on top of midfield and looking to drive forward through Ayeni and recently introduced sub Albert.

Despite the shift in play though it was Worthing who went closer in the final third as Jack McLelland forced Charlesworth to tip his low strike fractionally round the post, and with less than five minutes remaining The Rebels did break the deadlock. Zac Jeanes and Evan Hoarty linked up well down the right before the latter crossed into the box for sub Costin Manchester to guide the ball home from close range.

Undeterred, Wanderers got back on terms immediately; a corner ball from the right was not dealt with by the Worthing back-line and unable to be brought under control by Murphy, Cowing quickest to react and tap the ball home in the six yard box.

With extra time again looming, Wanderers continued to push forward, and scored the winning goal right at the end of stoppage time. Albert gathered the ball on the left and confidently dribbled into the box, remaining composed enough as he approached goal to steer the ball through Murphy’s legs and win the tie for Wanderers to the utter delight of the majority around Meadowbank, and to the desolation of those who travelled up from East Sussex to back The Rebels.

It was confirmed earlier today that Wanderers will now travel to League One club Cheltenham Town in the next round of the competition, with the tie for the game to be confirmed shortly.

Dan Stobbart

Dorking Wanderers (3-5-2): 1 Harry Charlesworth, 5 Luc Cowing, 3 Jay Richardson (15 Tyrese Ayeni 21′), 6 Luca Fulco; 2 Zach Cahusac, 4 Joel Brown (c), 8 Neo Wooster, 10 Seb Tauta-Caballero, 7 Hayden Gale; 9 Ollie Rawlins (18 Sonny Albert 57′), 11 Luke Bejashvili (19 Jacob Todman 84′)

Unused Subs: 12 James O’Hara (GK), 13 Henry Russ, 14 Hwan Lee, 16 Liam Trevatt

Goals: Cowing 87′, Albert 90+’5′

Yellow Cards:Wooster 41′, 66′, Bejashvili 72′, Albert 90+2′

Red Card: Wooster 66′

Worthing FC: 1 Kristen Murphy, 3 Ben Royall, 4 Freddie Chester, 5 Ben Cheverton (c) (2 Zachary Jeanes 80′), 6 Harry Merritt-Blann, 7 Cavan Gratwick, 8 Luke Harrison (15 Danny Jordan 72′), 9 Luca Allen, 10 Jack McLelland, 11 Stanley Berry (18 Costin Manchester 72′), 14 Evan Hoarty

Unused Subs: 12 David Castanheira, 13 Daniel Gibson, 16 Cameron Joste, 17 Demar Blair

Goal: Manchester 86′

Yellow Card: Royall 24′, Harrison 61′

Referee: Gerry Herom

Att: 253