First Team
National League Sat 2 March Meadowbank Stadium
Dorking Wanderers
  • Pybus (9')
  • Rutherford (25', 66')
  • Blair (48')
  • Palmer (46')

Match report by George Taylor

The Wanderers came into this afternoon’s early kick off on the back of a disappointing home defeat at the hands of Ebbsfleet United, prompting Marc White to make three changes from last weekend’s starting line-up. Cook, an oncoming substitute last time out, came in alongside the returning Briggs for Francomb and Bobby-Joe Taylor, whilst Fuller collected the captain’s armband in place of the suspended Tony Craig.

The Spireites have been the league’s runaway leaders for a vast majority of the season and were in sight of extending the lead to 26 points should they secure victory. The visitors made early inroads to do so, stinging the hands of Male between the sticks through an early effort from Berry.

Despite early attempts from Paul Cook’s side, the opening goal of the afternoon would instead go the way of the Wanderers. A loose ball in the box following a corner found itself at the feet of Dan Pybus, who’s sweet strike from just inside the area flew past Tyrer in the Chesterfield goal.

Marc White’s side maintained their attacking prowess as they pushed for the security of a second goal. Charlie Carter forced Tyrer into action having caught Chesterfield on the counter before Briggs and Prior sent efforts of their own into the hands of the Spireites keeper.

The Wanderers’ search for a second was rewarded minutes later through another splendid strike, on this occasion courtesy of Alfie Rutherford. A neat passage of play opened up space for Jason Prior to play in Rutherford, who collected the through ball and blasted home for a third league goal since his Winter return.

Dorking had to ensure defensive stability for much of the first half in their attempts to hold off the league leaders but were pegged back just before the break. A delightful delivery from a set piece saw Palmer rise highest for the Spireites and head beyond Harrison Male, gifting his side with a much-needed lifeline.

HT 2-1

Having made just one change at the break, swapping Briggs for Jimmy Muitt, The Wanderers looked to kick on after what had been a successful first half. Marc White’s side would do exactly that, securing a dream start to the second period via Tom Blair. A quick counter in the opening exchanges of the restart allowed Blair to brush into the box and aim for goal, striking into the roof of the Spireites net for a much needed third goal of the afternoon.

Chesterfield appeared undeterred by Dorking’s third, forcing Dorking’s back- line into action once more. Mandeville, who struck twice past Male in the reverse fixture, saw a header sail wide of the post, before forcing Josh Taylor to clear a defence- cutting pass across goal.

In response to Chesterfield’s pressure, the Wanderers struck again via Alfie Rutherford.  A counter-attack following a Chesterfield corner left Rutherford in acres of space, who advanced ahead of a trailing Chesterfield defence and calmly converted for both his fourth of the season and Dorking’s fourth of the afternoon.

As the encounter drew to a close, the Spireites continued in their attempt to claw back into the game. Efforts from Mandeville and oncoming substitute Curtis caused momentary danger for Dorking, but to no avail.

Marc White’s side eventually held out for an emphatic victory, ending a run of poor form at home following a winless February at Meadowbank. The victory allows the Wanderers to move up to 18th in the table ahead of this weekend’s round of fixtures in the National League, an encouraging factor going into our mid-week visit to Altrincham.


Dorking Wanderers: Male, Pybus, Briggs (Muitt ’45), Prior, Rutherford (Francomb ’74), Cook, Carter, Taylor, Hollis, Fuller ©, Blair (Joe- Taylor ’67)

 Unused Subs: McManus, Moore

Bookings: Joe-Taylor, Pybus, Fuller

Chesterfield: Tyrer, King, Palmer, Grimes ©, Clements, Oldaker (Dobra ’67), Naylor, Mandeville, Jacobs (Curtis ’67), Berry (Hobson ’67), Grigg

Unused Subs: Williams, Banks 

Bookings: Clements

Referee: Dale Baines

Match Officials: James Hurst, Peter Lowe, Steven Hughes

Attendance: 2420 (888 away)